November 20, 2005
e-mail to: Evan Morris
- just like that
- what does the collaboration between sun and google mean? how about some speculation, and thank you for asking.
- some quick hypotheses: google will use the goodwill they've gained in the internet community to drive a solaris variant onto your desktop. i can see google offering opensolaris through its data pipes to anyone who would allow them to setup a small partition on their hard drive. i mean, with google desktop being such a popular download, and google earth being so interesting, who wouldn't let google suggest a possible alternative to windows that wouldn't wreck their windows system? google has a fantastic window of opportunity with the apple/intel contract causing people to take a wait and see attitude towards the purchase of a macintosh, and the fact that vista won't be out on the market for another year.
- i don't find it too hard to believe that google might have intentions of providing a new OS and bypassing microsoft entirely. i just assumed google would be offering a linux variant, but solaris is much much more interesting.
- later that day...
- and then i realize, after spending all afternoon learning OS X, that microsoft isn't exiting the personal computer stage anytime soon...and certainly won't accept being threatened. kids, we don't live in a communist society--great software is never free. the best programmers are usually the ones filling the highest paid coding jobs and we're reaping the rewards.
- ever met these yellow dog microsoft haters? wait, that's a linux build, isn't it? soooory, i mean "distro."
- and when did the internet bubble blow up again? whoever's blowing that bubble is busier than the glass artists at dank glass. ebay pays 3 billion for skype? you've got to be ***expletive deleted*** kidding me.
- there's going to be a war, and i love google for what it does well, but i also love microsoft for everything they've done for the industry. all technology lovers owe microsoft a great debt.
[Back to Homepage Archive]
[Back to Homepage]