1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. No purchase or rental of Madden NFL 96 video game for Sega Genesis or Super NES, XBAND Modem or XBAND Network account is necessary to enter. (See ) Participation is open to residents of the United States, excluding its territories or overseas military installations. Temporary or permanent employees or agents of Catapult Entertainment, Inc. (CEI), 20823 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino, CA 95014, Electronic Arts (EA), 1450 Fashion Island Blvd., San Mateo, CA 94404. (Sponsors); Sendai Publications, Inc., Blockbuster Videos, Inc., Electronics Boutique, their employees, families and any affiliated organizations, contractors or agencies their employees and families are not eligible.
OFFICIAL RULES. This document constitutes the Official Rules for the Madden NFL XBAND Challenge (Tournament). For a copy of the complete Official Rules via the Internet contact the following World Wide Web Sites: http://www.xband.com (CEI) & http://www.ea.com (EA). For a copy of the Official Rules via mail, send a SASE to: Madden NFL 96 XBAND Challenge Rules, c/o Catapult Entertainment, 20823 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino, CA 95014. VT and WA residents need not affix postage. This contest is subject to all national, federal, state, provincial or local laws and void where prohibited by law.
2. How To Enter The Madden NFL 96 XBAND Challenge.
The Tournament is a head-to-head, real time competition where Individuals competing for prizes play EA SPORTS' Madden NFL 96 video game on the Sega Genesis (Sega) and Super NES game systems over the XBAND Network using the XBAND modem and standard telephone lines from the Individuals homes (Participants).
Participants have two options by which they may be selected for advancement to the Tournament Finals. Option #1: Participants who do not own or have access to a Madden NFL 96 video game for Sega or Super NES, an XBAND Video Game Modem for Sega or Super NES, or an active account with the XBAND Network may enter the Qualifying Drawing. (See 3) Option #2: Participants who own or have access to a Madden NFL 96 video game for Sega or Super NES, an XBAND Video Game Modem for Sega or Super NES, and an active account with the XBAND Network may compete in the Qualifying Tournament. (See 4) Participants who are selected as Finalists; other than Drawing Finalist (See 3) will be notified via X-Mail (XBAND's electronic messaging service) of the rules and schedule for the Tournament Finals.
3. Qualifying Drawing. Participants who do not own or have access to a Madden NFL 96 video game for Sega or Super NES, an XBAND Video Game Modem for Sega or Super NES, or an active account with the XBAND Network may enter the Qualifying Drawing. Odds of winning is dependent on the number of qualified entries received. To enter the Qualifying Drawing, send a standard sized postcard with your name, address, birthdate, daytime & evening phone numbers, and which video game system you prefer (Sega or Super NES) to: Madden NFL 96 XBAND Challenge Drawing, c/o Catapult Entertainment, 20823 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino, CA 95014. Limit one entry per Participant. Entries must be received by December 10, 1995. All entries become the exclusive property of the Sponsors and will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsors assume no responsibility for lost, mutilated, late, ineligible, incomplete, postage due or misdirected entries. One (1) winner with a Sega preference indicated (Sega Drawing Finalist) and one (1) winner with a Super NES preference indicated (Super NES Drawing Finalist) will be determined by random drawing of all valid entries received by the Sponsors, whose decisions are final. Drawing to be held on or about December 10, 1995. Each Drawing Finalist will be notified and receive, via overnight delivery, a Sega or Super NES game system (according to their preference indicated), a compatible Madden NFL 96 video game, a compatible XBAND Modem, and an active 30-day account with the XBAND Network. Each Drawing Finalist will advance into the Final Rounds.
4. Qualifying Tournament. No entry form is required to compete in the Qualifying Tournament. All Participants who have an active XBAND account in good standing will be eligible to compete in the Qualifying Tournament. Rounds to select sixty-three (63) Sega Qualifying Finalists and sixty-three (63) Super NES Qualifying Finalists will be held November 18 through December 10, 1995. There will be eight rounds (Qualifying Rounds) in the Qualifying Tournament. The eight (8) Participants with the highest two-day total of wins (Total Wins) from each of Rounds 1 through 7, and the seven (7) Participants with the highest Total Wins from Round 8, will advance into the Final Rounds from the Qualifying Tournament, for a total of 63 finalists on Sega and 63 finalists on Super NES. In the case of a tie in the highest Total Wins for any two-day Round, the first tie breaker will be determined by the highest total points scored by the tying Participants in games won in that Round. If a tie still exists, tie breaker number two will be determined by the highest total margin of victory by the tying Participants in each game won in that Round. If a tie still exists, tie breaker number three will be a random drawing to be conducted by the Sponsors among the tying Participants to select the Participants who advance to the Final Rounds. The Participants who advance to the Final Rounds (Qualifying Finalists) from each Qualifying Round will be notified by X-Mail within four days following the completion of each Qualifying Round. A list of the Qualifying Finalists will be posted on XBAND News. Any Participant not among the Qualifying Finalists for a particular Qualifying Round can compete in any or all of the remaining Qualifying Rounds. Participants can only qualify once for the Final Rounds. Games played against Participants who have already been selected as Qualified Finalists will not count in the Total Wins. Participants will be responsible for all service charges including XBAND Nationwide, long distance, local toll calls and point of presence charges occurring during the Qualifying Tournament. Only one Participant per XBAND Modem will be able to qualify and advance to the Final Rounds. If more than one Participant plays per XBAND Modem in a Qualifying Round, the Total Wins will be weighed as a whole and only one of the Participants will be selected to advance, if appropriate.
Each Qualifying Round will consist of 3 hours of play per day on two consecutive days, per schedule below. Participants will be required to log on from home at the designated time and win as many completed, unique games as possible during a single, two-day/6 hour Qualifying Round. A unique game is one played with a different opponent. Any game started within the designated one-day/3 hour time frame, but ending outside of it, will be considered eligible. A Participants will be required to log on directly at the end of the designated one-day/3 hour timeframe following their last completed game. This means the Participant MUST log onto the XBAND server by an X-Mail or Challenge connect in order to upload the stats from the last completed game. There will be a 90 minute window following each one-day/3 hour timeframe for participating Participants to log on. Failure to log on within this 90 minute window following a last completed game will prevent the Participant from receiving credit for that game in their Total Wins. XBAND matched challenges only will be counted in Total Wins - No "Players List" challenges permitted (menu option available on XBAND service). Wins DO NOT carry forward to other Qualifying Rounds. The total gameplay (3 hours per day on two consecutive days) of all Qualifying Round winners will be reviewed by the Sponsors following each Qualifying Round to ensure that winning Participant played according to the Official Rules.
5. Qualifying Rounds Schedule (for both Sega and Super NES Participants).
Top Ranked TopRanked Sega Super NES Round Date EST PST Participants Participants 1 11/18-19, 1995 12N- 3P 9A-12N 8 8 2 11/25-26, 1995 3P- 6P 12N- 3P 8 8 3 11/28-29, 1995 7P-10P 4P- 7P 8 8 4 11/30-12/1,1995 9P-12M 6P- 9P 8 8 5 12/2-3, 1995 12N- 3P 9A-12N 8 8 6 12/5-6, 1995 9P-12M 6P- 9P 8 8 7 12/7-8, 1995 7P-10P 4P- 7P 8 8 8 12/9-10, 1995 3P- 6P 12N- 3P 7 7
6. Final Rounds. The Tournament Finals will take place within the continental United States from December 16 through December 30, 1995. There will be one Champion determined among Sega Finalists and one Champion determined among Super NES Finalists. A seeded single elimination from 64 Finalists to 1 Champion per game system will take place per the schedule below in the participating Finalist's homes. The Qualifying Finalists will be ranked from #1 to #63 based on the following criteria: 1) Most Wins, 2) Number of winning points scored in all Wins, 3) Margin of victory in all Wins and 4) Random drawing among Qualifying Finalists who then tie. The Drawing Finalists will be ranked based on a random seeding drawing. Qualifying Finalists will be moved down in seeding based on Drawing Finalists positioning. Final Rounds will be conducted so that Finalist ranked #1 plays Finalist ranked #64, Finalist ranked #2 plays Finalist ranked #63, and so on. Finalists will be notified of their matches and times at least three days before the date of their respective Final Round via X-Mail. Failure of Finalist to be available for a pre-arranged match will result in their disqualification and an automatic win for the designated opponent (See 15) CEI will pay for all XBAND Nationwide charges related to play in the Final Rounds.
7. Final Rounds Schedule (for Sega Finalists and Super NES Finalists).
Round Date Tiers 1 12/16, 1995 64 Participants to 32 Participants 2 12/16, 1995 32 Participants to 16 Participants 3 12/23, 1995 16 Participants to 8 Participants Quarter Finals 12/23, 1995 8 Participants to 4 Participants Semi-Finals 12/30, 1995 4 Participants to 2 Participants Finals 12/30, 1995 2 Participants to 1 Grand Prize Winner
8. Individual Game Rules: Games must be played in the "Play Now" mode from Madden NFL 96 for Sega or Super NES as selected from the game main menu. A completed game is 4 quarters at 5 minutes per quarter and arrives at a specific winner; in the event of a tie score after 4 quarters, the game will automatically go into sudden death overtime that will last until a Participant scores. Prior to each game, each Participant has 3 minutes to make substitutions; when that time runs out, the game will automatically begin. During the game, each Participant can have up to :90 seconds in real time to make changes. Once a Participant has used their :90 seconds, :60 seconds of game time (the game clock) must elapse before that Participant can make substitutions again. Eight (8) consecutive offsides or delay of game penalties constitutes a forfeit. A total of fifteen (15) delay of game or offsides penalties in a game constitutes a forfeit.
If a game terminates prior to completion (e.g. cord pull, reset), Sponsors will determine whether or not a win will be awarded. A win must be awarded if there is "sufficient score" to render a reasonable decision at the time of game termination. A "sufficient score" will be decided on a case-by-case basis by the Sponsors, whose decisions are final. If the Sponsors are unable to determine a winner by the "sufficient score" method during the Qualifying Rounds, then neither Participant will receive a win. If a game is interrupted due to circumstances beyond the control of the Participants (e.g. game freeze), both Participants must contact CEI within 90 minutes after the completion of the Qualifying Round and the Sponsors will determine whether or not Participants will be able to replay the match. (See 12)
The XBAND call waiting feature should be disabled (OFF) during Qualifying Rounds by each Participant. If a Participant has call waiting ON during a Qualifying Round game and the game is interrupted or discontinued, the "sufficient score" policy will apply to the Participant NOT responsible for the call waiting interruption. The Participant with call waiting ON will be disqualified from that game.
Any resets, cord pulls or acts resulting in an incomplete game will result in the immediate disqualification of the Participant from the entire Tournament. Any collusion by one or more Participants to influence the results for one or more Participants will result in immediate disqualification of all parties. Any incidents will be reviewed on a case by case basis, as necessary, immediately following each Round. ALL DECISIONS BY THE SPONSORS WILL BE FINAL IN ALL MATTERS.
9. Individual Game Rules: A win must be awarded if there is "sufficient score" to render a reasonable decision at the time of game termination. A "sufficient score" will be decided on a case-by-case basis by the Sponsors, whose decisions are final. During the Tournament Finals, if the Sponsors are unable to determine a winner by the "sufficient score" method, then the game will be replayed.
10. Prizes. Grand Prize: (2 total): 1 Sega champion and 1 Super NES champion. Air transportation for 2 (champion and 1 guest/parent) to Phoenix, AZ from the nearest commercial airport on 1/26/96 with return on 1/29/96; hotel accommodations, selected by Sponsors, in the Phoenix area for 2 people (1 room each winner) for 3 nights; $500 spending money; 2 tickets to Super Bowl XXX; 2 passes to NFL Experience and 2 VIP passes to Madden Bowl. Approximate Retail Value: $5,800; Approximate Aggregate value: $11,600. First Prizes (8): 4 Sega finalists/4 Super NES finalists. 3 EA SPORTS 96 Games (of winner's choice); 1 Year Subscription to XBAND. Approximate Retail Value: $320 Approximate Aggregate Value: $2500. Second Prizes (32): (16 Sega finalists/16 Super NES finalists. 1 EA SPORTS 96 Game (of winner's choice); 3 Mo. Subscription to XBAND. Approximate Retail Value: $97.00; Approximate Aggregate Value: $3100. Third Prizes (128): 64 Sega finalists/64 Super NES finalists. Limited-edition Madden NFL 96 XBAND Challenge T-shirt; NFL on FOX Hat. Approximate Retail Value: $33.00; Approximate Aggregate Value: $4200. TOTAL VALUE: $21,400. Taxes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners.
Suspicion of cheating (resets, plug pulling or activities which adversely influence the game) or attempt to defraud the Sponsors on the part of any Finalist will put prize redemption in jeopardy and, if confirmed, will result in the revocation of service privileges. Decision of the Sponsors is final. Prizes other than the Champion Prizes will be fulfilled within four to six weeks.
11. Travel Rules. Travel prizes have restrictions and must be completed within the time frame specified in this document (January 26-29, 1996). Once a travel date has been selected, it cannot be changed. All travelers must execute a Release of Liability/Publicity Release prior to ticketing. Any minor taking the Grand Prize trip must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and must submit a Release of Liability/Publicity Release signed by a parent or legal guardian. Any travel restrictions will apply. Airline tickets are non-transferable and not redeemable for cash. In the event a trip winner declines or is unable to make the trip for any reason, an alternate winner may be selected.
12. Terms of Participation. Participation in Tournament constitutes Participant's permission to use Participant's name, address, photograph(s), videotape(s), voice recordings and/or any other likeness for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. Sponsors their parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, consultants, agents and employees shall not be responsible for any demands, compensatory, direct, incidental, concesequantial or otherwise, with respect to or in any way arising from or related to the Tournament or related prizes. Sponsors reserve the right to require any Participant to replay any game for any reason, at their sole discretion. Sponsors are not responsible for any technical difficulties or interruptions due any causes beyond the Sponsors' control. By participating, Participants accept and agree to abide by and be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsors which shall be final, binding and conclusive in all respects. The Sponsors are the sole and absolute judges on all matters relating to the Tournament. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify any Participant who fails to follow the Official Rules or makes any misrepresentations relative to the Tournament and/or the redemption of prizes. Participants under the age of 18 need the authorization of parent or guardian to enroll in the XBAND service.
13. Finalist Proof, Responsibilities Regarding Prize. When redeeming prizes, winning Finalists may be required to provide acceptable proof of personal identification, such as a social security number and proof of age. All applicable taxes, insurance, licensing, registration and title fees are the sole responsibility of the primary registered Participant, to whom the prize is awarded.
14. Sponsor Rights. Prizes will not be awarded in jurisdictions where the contest is prohibited by law. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to increase or decrease the duration of a contest, amend the Official Rules. Prizes are not transferable and no substitutions or cash equivalents of any prizes will be allowed except at the descreption of the Sponsors. Such changes will be communicated in XBAND News or BANDWIDTH, XBAND's on-line newspapers or by other practical means. Sponsors reserve the right to cancel this Tournament at any time with appropriate notice.
15. Hold Harmless and Limitation of Liability. Production of an interactive event requires the error-free performance by many unrelated systems and companies, including telephone companies and power companies, as well as other companies and individuals not under the control of the Sponsors. Negligence and acts of God affecting any participating entity can cause failure in the delivery of accurate information or the failure of an entire game. As a result the Participant understands and agrees that the Sponsors can make no warranty regarding the quality or accuracy of its transmission and the Sponsors shall not be liable to any Participant or other party for any loss, damage, cost, expense or loss of prize or award resulting from the failure of its service and/or an inaccuracy or incomplete information, transmission failure, equipment defect or malfunction, or for any delays or interruption or change of service whether or not resulting from negligence of the Sponsors or the negligence of their agents or contractors. In the event of any such mistake, error malfunction or failure, damages shall be limited only to the consideration paid for the event (if any) and in no case shall the Sponsors be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, consequential, or exemplary damages or for any damages incurred by or paid to any third party. Participant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsors and each of its suppliers from all loss, expenses and damages, claimed or incurred by Participant or any third party using Participant's equipment, arising out of the performance of its service or this Agreement. The indemnities contained in this paragraph shall survive the termination of this Agreement. By participating in the Tournament Participants agree to be bound by the Official Rules.
16. List of Winners. For a list of the winners of the Madden NFL 96 XBAND Challenge Tournament, available after 12/31/95, send a SASE to: Madden NFL 96 XBAND Challenge Winners. (See 1 for Address)
Return to XBAND Xclusive.